Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 7 8/16 MAAAAINNNE!!!

It was real hard to wake up this morning. REAL HARD. But today, as compared to yesterday was going to be easy.

As we left our hotel, still in a daze this older guy rolls up to me on a Segway. We exchanged good mornings. It was until he started to zip away that I was like wait I should get a picture. This was the best I got. Oh and no mater how cool you are you can't look cool on a Segway. Sorry.


Sending some post cards. Look out world they may be coming to YOU *points finger at world*


Some more scenery for you.


MINI GOLF! Ive never gone but I am sure I would kill.


Damn the only things you can get in a pawn shop in New York is gaudy jewelry and stolen stereo equipment not a boat... damn.


I think it was Jodie who was telling me about the Kancamangus Highway and how I should check it out. I had no idea what he was talking about but we were at a rest stop and I found this map. IT EXISTS. Well I don't think Ill be checking it out this ride but some time in the future for sure.


Picnic time!


There is more and more water the further we go. Getting closer to the coast.


You mean i can have pancakes for dinner?!?!


Mile 80 yeah no big deal.


Ive been seeing the strangers specialty stores. I saw this one before specifically for medieval weaponry and this one only for Puzzles. I don't get the weaponry but I love puzzles.


Uh oh! Doesn't look good.


95 no not tired not tired at all.


It started drizzling so on goes the neon yellow rain coat.


Not a break in the clouds in sight.


More rivers. If you look at a map Portsmouth (our destination for today) its all rivers and lakes leading into the city wich itself is right on a bunch of bays and ports.



Here is an over the shoulder shot.


Woops wrong way.

We stopped to figure out how to get to Portsmouth. At the point we were at the highway we were on turns into a freeway. We saw this bridge that had a bike path sign but also a concrete barrier that said "road closed" Plus it looked kinda sketchy.

That's when this guy comes shooting over that very same bridge on his motorcycle. After a couple of questions he told us how to get into Portsmouth right over the bridge. Excellent.

Here are a couple of shots over the bridge kinda stunning the scenery actually.






So we got to Portsmouth and several sets of bad directions towards the motels in the area we found ourselves in front of a BJ's, kinda like a Cosco, calling different motels. There were absolutely NO rooms anywhere. My mom called every hotel/motel in Portsmouth and everything was booked. Here she is on the verge of breaking down in front of the BJs.


We decided to go someplace where I could get internet and do a more thorough search of the area. I remembered seeing a starbucks along the main street but of course I couldn't find it and we settled for a Shaws, which is just the big supermarket chain in the area. Well a couple more calls to no avail and no outlet for my laptop. I go into the store looking for a payphone with a phone book to look in but insted I find a map of the city with restarunts and hotels in the area. An already long story short a motel in Kittery has ONE room availible that they were holding for people that didn't show up and off we were to Kittery in the dark.

Here is the view of the bridge from Portsmouth into Kittery.


While crossing the bridge we see two young guys with bright white shirts, ties, black pants and black jackets. Yeah thats right mormans. As we near they see and and freindly say "good evening, have you ever spoken to Morman missionaries before?" AAAAHAAAAAA you can't escape!! Not even on a bridge at 9 oclock, in . A couple of quick excuses and some fast walking and we were through.

As we were crossing I happened to look up and see a sign that said Kittery Maine. Wait a minute we are in MAINE!!!! MAAAAAAINNEE!!! I guess I didn't realize that Kittery was actually in Maine.


But that wasn't the end of the encounters on the bridge. Coming down the other side into Kittery we were aproached by this older lady in a lavender hooded sweatshirt and lavender crocs. She was very nice and asked us where we were from and where we were going saying "wow that's great, that's really great" When told what motel we were headed towards she replied something like "oh well that was the first Motel I ever went to. Hopefully you will have a better time than I did"... I wonder what she could have meant.

A few more turns and down some dark roads and we were there. A disaster averted!

46 Miles Route 4 to 1 North

2 comments:

WeSailFurther said...

congrats, dude. and dudette.

Question: do you carry everything on your back and on your bike? your computer, clothes, snacks, soap?

Elaine H. said...

Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome! Already in Maine!!! I was greatly relieved to read that you found a motel room -- Maine in the summer is always impossible for spur-of-the-moment hotel needs. That bridge you went over looks horrible. Part of the country's failing/neglected infrastructure. Thanks so much, Cos, for the updates. It's really fun following your trip:) Hope one of those postcards was for ME!!!