Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day One!!!! 8/10

And we are off.... well we have to get out of the apartment first, always a challenge.

The early going is pretty slow. Both of us are getting used to riding bike loaded with over 100lbs of stuff. I had just put on the risers, breaks and a rack for the first time the night before and everything was pretty rickety plus my bars were sliding around because they weren't the right size for the stem (uuuuuggg!!!). We set out up 9W, a very popular road for city cyclists looking to take a ride out of the city. I was planning on taking river road but I couldn't find it.


We stopped for lunch after a pretty late start someplace along 9W to grab a bite and regroup. I just finished my BLT when I see, flying down the road, Drew a fellow cyclist from the city. He was on his way to Bear Mountain.


Never having gone down 9W by myself I am sure I could have taken a more scenic route. But there were still pretty nice views of the river and a couple pretty cool bridges.






After we passed Nyack 9W got really hilly. It resulted in some walking.

Little did we know that this was the road that goes right above West Point. It went on forever but there was a pretty impressive view of West Point from there.


It was getting pretty late and we weren't anywhere near Poughkeepsie, where I wanted to get to the first day. So we ended up staying in a Motel on the roadside near Cornwall. It smelled pretty grungy but it looked clean.




63 Miles Across GWB and Up 9W

No comments: