Saturday, September 20, 2008

Final Thoughts.... Maybe

These are my mom's thoughts from the trip:
I always knew I wanted to take my children to college so when Cosme told me that wherever he went to college he would be getting there on his bicycle and he ended up telling me I could go along if I wanted I said yes I would - and would be honored - to accompany him on my bicycle (thankfully, between you and me, he didn't end up going to school on the opposite coast!).

Siempre sabia que queria llevar a mis hijos a la unversidad entonces cuando Cosme me dijo que donde sea que fuera, iba a llegar en bicicleta y luego me dijo que yo podia ir tambien si quisiera dije que si lo haria - seria mi honor - acompanarlo en mi bicicleta (por suerte, entre tu y yo, al final no iba a la universidad en la costa opuesta del pais!)

As I write this - finally with some presence of mind to do so having definatively reached our destination - Waterville, Maine - my heart feels a little heavy because I won't be able to be present (today) when Tefe (Cosme's twin brother) moves into his dorm room in New Paltz, New York.

Al escribir esto - finalmente com alguna tranquilidad mental para hacerlo habiendo llegado definitivamente a donde ibamos - Waterville, Maine - mi corazon se siente algo pesado porque no voy poder estar presente (hoy) cuando Tefe (el hermano mellizo de Cosme) se muda a su cuarto de residencia en New Paltz, New York.

There was never a moment as the day of departure drew near (12 days ago) when I even considered calling off my participation in this adventure (even though there were those who scolded me about needing to get physically fit and seeing that I really wasn't dealing with this aspect of things). I would simply just allow myself to momentarily ponder isolated aspects of what needed to be done - obtaining the proper clothing, getting my bike fixed, leaving daily logistics in place at home in my absence, deciding on details of what to actually bring and what not to...

Nunca hubo un momento - al acercarse el dia de partida (hace 12 dias) que ni consideraba cancelar mi participacion en esta aventura (aunque habia los que me reganaban sobre la necesidad de ponerme en forma y viendo que simplemente no estaba enfrentandome a este aspect de las cosas). Me permitia simplemente pensar por momentos aspectos aislados de lo que se necesitaba hacer - obtener la ropa apropiada, mandar a arreglar mi bicicleta, dejar toda la logistica cotidiana arreglada en mi ausencia, decidir detalles de lo que realmente llevaria y de lo que no deberia llevar...

So the day came and although maybe nobody noticed I felt an internal mental struggle begin - kind of a passive mental "feet dragging" if you will...but we set out. Day one was getting out of the city, across the river (Hudson), through New Jersey and back into New York State again - then moving uphill in the direction of Bear Mountain and beyond...I don't remember if I walked any hills that first day but I was using some stretchy knee braces, special lotion for knee pain, riding in my lowest gear, and constantly shaking out especially my left hand to ward off complete loss of circulation. It was very hard, sometimes painful and nervewracking but I didn't complain. I didn't want to psych myself out nor be a burden to my hero son.

Entonces llego el dia y aunque tal vez nadie se dio cuenta sentia los comienzos de una lucha interior / mental - una especie de "arrastre mental de pies".....sin embargo nos partimos. El primer dia se tomo para alejarnos de la ciudad, cruzar el rio Hudson, atravesar New Jersey y volver a cruzar la frontera al norte con Nueva York - y despues nos movimos hacia arriba en rumbo a la montana "Oso" y mas alla...no recuerdo si camine algun cerro ese primer dia o no pero tenia puesto unas rodilleras elasticas, una locion especial para dolor de conyunturas, andando en el 'cambio' (de la bicicleta) mas bajo, y constantemente sacudiendome especialmente la mano izquierda para evitar que se parara por completo la circulacion. Fue muy dificil, a veces doloroso y desesperante pero no me quejaba. No queria desanimarme ni ser una carga para mi hijo heroe.

So, proceeding like this - far from in command of my mental uncertainties - we made it to New Winsor and stayed the night. Cosme has already told you but the very next day, going up the very first hill (my body complaining in pain) my derailleur snapped in two - I thought (felt) I had done something wrong - maybe tried to change gears at the wrong moment, pushed too hard - we had barely started and I had already caused us to be stuck. He also told us that an "angel" by the name of Carlos got us to a bike shop, another "angel" - the bike shop guy fixed my and Cosme's bike - then the sky opened up with pouring rain, thunder and lightening. So we stayed still for awhile while the bike guy gave us a pep talk - not to be too rigid with our plans, to go with the flow, concentrate on the enjoyment of the trip itself and not worry so much about each next destination, and so on (it was reassuring for me). When the sky calmed down we proceeded on to Kingston.

Entonces, procediendo asi - lejos de estar en control de mis incertidumbres mentales - alcanzamos New Winsor y nos quedamos la noche. Ya Cosme les ha explicado pero justo el dia siguiente, subiendo la primera colina (mi cuerpo protestando del dolor del dia anterior) se partio en dos la parte mas importante del sistema de cambios en mi bicicleta (derailleur) - pense (senti) que habia sido algo que yo habia hecho mal - tal vez trataba de cambiar en un momento inapropiado, habia empujado muy duro - apenas habiamos comenzado y ya yo habia sido la causa de nuestro tranque. Tambien Cosme les conto que un "angel" conocido por el nombre de Carlos nos hizo llegar a un taller de bicicletas, y otro "angel" - el hombre reparador de bicicletas arreglo tanto mi bicicleta como la de Cosme - luego se abrio el cielo con un chubasco torrential, truenos y relampagos. Entonces nos quedamos quietos por un rato mientras que el tipo del taller nos daba una charla para animarnos diciendonos que no fueramos muy rigidos con nuestros planes, que siguieramos el ritmo natural de las cosas, que concentraramos en el placer del viaje mismo y que no nos preocuparamos tanto de cada proxima destinacion, y asi (a mi me ayudo a no sentir tan mal). Cuando se calmo el cielo procedimos a Kingston.

Going up the last hill of the day in Kingston Cosme got a call with people laughing on the other end, asking to talk to me and wondering whether I had arranged for a substitute on my job! I still wasn't entirely convinced myself (at least in the doubting part of my brain that I was still struggling with) that I was going to "make it" but my determination was beginning to take over and I just said "it won't be necessary". After Kingston we made it to just outside of Albany, New York - Colonie - our last stop before crossing over into Vermont on the following day.

Subiendo el ultimo cerro del dia en Kingston Cosme recibio una llamada con personas riendose al otro lado de la linea, pidiendo hablar conmigo y preguntandose si me habia arreglado tener un sustituto para mi trabajo! Todavia yo no estaba totalmente convencida (al menos en la parte dudosa de mi cerebro con la cual todavia luchaba) de que si iba a poder lograr llegar. Sin embargo mi determinacion habia empezado a empoderarse de mi y simplemente dije "no sera necesario". Despues de Kingston alcanzamos llegar a las afueras de Albany - a Colonie - nuestra ultima parada antes de cruzar la frontera con Vermont el dia siguiente.

A psychological "trick" that helped me in my mental struggles to keep going was to think in terms of small increments - the next 15 miles, the next town, the top of the hill, looking down and getting past each successive crack in the pavement, watching the mileage markers - .2 miles, .4 miles, .6 miles, doing the math - subtracting the number of miles on each last sign I saw from the total miles planned for the day, not complaining, focusing on the positive, noticing that around 2 o'clock each day the crickets starting humming on the side of the road and that by 4:00 they were in full chorus, noticing that the vegetation gradually changed, the colors of the earth on the shoulders evolved from reddish, to brown, to gravel, to sand, and at the end back to brown, noticing the different architecture from town to town, how many homes were for sale, what the gas prices were in town to town (the lowest were in Maine - away from the coast) the different flavors of energy bars and vitamin water we were trying - and in the hardest moments - visualizing the hot bath I would be soaking my legs in at the end of each day.

Un "truco" sicologico que me ayudo en mis luchas mentales para seguir adelante fue pensar en pequenos incrementos - las proximas 15 millas, el proximo pueblo, la cumbre del cerro, mirando hacia abajo y sobrepasando cada rotura sucesiva en el asfalto, observando los marcadores de millaje - .2 millas, .4 millas, .6 millas, haciendo la matematica - restando el numero de millas en cada ultimo letrero del millaje total planificado para el dia, no quejarme, enfocarme en lo positivo, dandome cuenta que alrededor de las dos de cada tarde los grillos comenzaban a cantar al lado del camino y que ya para las cuatro estaban en pleno coro, dandome cuenta que la vegetacion cambiaba gradualmente, los colores de la tierra al lado de la carretera evolucionaban de rojizo, a moreno, a pedregoso, a arenoso, y al final otra vez a moreno, dandome cuenta de las diferencias entre la architectura de cada pueblo, fijandome en cuantas casa estaban en venta, cuales eran los precios de la gasolina de pueblo en pueblo (los mas bajos fueron en Maine - lejos de la costa) de los diferentes sabores de 'barras de energia' y 'agua de vitamina' que probabamos - y, en los momentos mas dificiles - visualizando el bano caliente en el cual estaria metiendo las piernas al final de cada dia.

At the beginning of the trip Cosme wanted me to go ahead and he follow behind. This only lasted about two or three days and proved very stressful for me. I suggested that Cosme be the leader instead. That turned out to be much better. Not only are the two of us physically very different (he is 17, fearless, and fit - I am almost 50, not as brave as I used to be, and needing to seriously get my body moving again) but our bikes act very differently. Cosme would "eat" hills as he put it - picking up speed on his fixed gear bike going up the hill. Going down his speed would depend on how fast he could pedal. I, on the other hand, had to 'negotiate' each and every hill. If I didn't end up walking I would nevertheless get to the top of the hill by pedaling non-stop in a very low gear and moving forward only very slowly. Going downhill would also depend on a few different things - the grade of the hill (remember the grade percent signs Cosme kept posting?), the condition of the pavement, how far ahead I could see (how many curves), what the weather was like (wet or dry), and how much adrenaline I was prepared to deal with. On my bike I could coast as fast as I wanted that I didn't want to do in front of Cosme because I felt bad about all of his pedaling. Also, with all of his city-street and racing cycling experience it was better for me to follow him than to lead.

Al comienzo del viaje Cosme queria que yo fuera adelante y que el me seguiria. Este plan solamente duro dos o tres dias y resulto muy estresante para mi Sugeri que Cosme fuera el lider en vez de mi. Eso funciono mucho mejor. Nosotros dos somos muy diferentes fisicamente (el tiene 17 anos, no tiene miedo de casi nada, esta en buenas condiciones fisicas - yo casi tengo 50 anos, no soy tan valiente como alguna vez era, y necesito - seriamente - poner a mi cuerpo en movimiento nuevamente). Tambien nuestras bicicletas funcionan de maneras bien distintas. Como dijo el "comia" los cerros - ganaba velocidad en su bicicleta sin cambios en las subidas. Bajando, su velocidad dependia de cuan rapidamente era capaz de pedalear. Yo, en cambio, tenia que 'negociar' cada uno de los cerros. Si no terminaba caminandolos sin embargo llegaba arriba pedaleando sin cesar en un cambio muy bajo y avanzandome muy lentamente. Bajando tambien dependia de diferentes cosas - del porciento de inclinacion del cerro (se acuerdan de los letreros indicando el porciento de inclinacion que Cosme ponia en el 'blog' a cada rato?), de la condicion del asfalto, de cuan adelante podia ver (cuantas curvas), de como estaba el tiempo (mojado o seco), y de cuanta adrenalina estaba preparada lidiar. En mi bicicleta podia dejar a la bicicleta irse solo cuan rapidamente queria aunque no queria hacerlo frente a Cosme porque me sentia mal de que el tuviera que pedalear tanto. Tambien, con toda su experiencia de andar en bicicleta en la ciudad (en el trafico) y de correr carreras de bicicleta era mejor que yo siguiera y que el fuera el lider.

The end of this story is that I made it! My legs still ache and are a little stiff when I walk but all in all I have been very honored to have accompanied my son to college on a bike. And who knows? Maybe I'll even keep it up back in the city or "get to the gym" as many suggested I should have been doing in the first place!

El final de esta historia es que llegue! Todavia me duelen y estan algo tiesas cuado camino pero en general he tenido el gran honor de haber acompanado a mi hijo a la universidad en una bicicleta. Y, quien sabe? Tal vez aun continuare andando en bicicleta en la ciudad o 'llegare al gimnasio' tal y como muchos sugerian que debia de haber estado haciendo al comienzo!

Teresa

I may have some more updates later but we will see.

1 comment:

Elaine H. said...

How good to read Teresa's notes on the trip -- I especially liked the part about keeping small increments in mind in order to keep going. When I ever do such an ambitious trip I'll surely remember that trick. Thanks, Cos, for this blog on this most unprecedented adventure. It was fun to follow your voyage. Maybe the next blog will be about your college adventures:) I'll check it from time to time. In the meantime, have a great time at college!